Wednesday, June 20, 2012

Being a Business Analyst

I never knew being a Business Analyst is whatever I am doing now and whatever all those great things I did previously.

Some of the things were inherently part of my job without me knowing it. In previous jobs any new venture excited me so much so that I'd spontaneously reply to my superiors that it can be done.

For me it was and it still is a "can do" attitude.

Working for a variety of fields within one's own field gives you that inherent feelings. I'd learnt about Ubuntu Linux as early as the beginning of January 2005. Tried it, it installed fantastically - faster than any Microsoft based Windows starting with 98. Because in almost any version of Linux, one does not have look for the "license Key"and tediously input them -- letter by letter -- number by number. It not only annoys one, it takes a significant amount of one's time.

My earlier attempts with RedHat Linux 7.0 was not that successful. Then again I was trying to install RedHat Linux on a AMD K6 3D Now machine with 160MBRAM, 4GB HDD. I am surprised that Knoppix on that old m/c from the CD. I am sure'Ill be able to carry my bootable Linux pendrive in my pocket soon. Oh, yes, of course with the Pocket OpenOffice.

Recently I've used Linux based DIA (a Visio equivalent and without the Microsoft's huge price tag). In some cases I guess it is better. One can not only draw Flow diagrams, also UML for Use Cases diagrams, Network diagrams, Network symbols.
 

My first assignment as Business Analyst was to prepare a Business Requirement case on Web based Golf Score Reporting Systems for my contract manager at ISE. He was surprised how easily I could do it with Linux based OpenOffice, Dia, GIMP to manipulate any images and even port the Business Specifications to Microsoft platform easily.

Yes, I am Open source enthusiast. I thank all the Open Source community all over the world in their beliefs of Open Source software. Their earnest efforts have kept our hopes not alive but thriving in this competitive world controlled by some(not all) of the rich, influential, extensive profit seeking and dominating enterprises.

I'd written this almost two years back

No comments: